Today, we will be discussing esophageal and
pancreatic cancers.
- Esophageal cancer
1. Barrett’s esophagus: a change of
cells in the distal esophagus from stratified squamous epithelium to columnar
epithelium due to reflux.
2.
Adenocarcinoma for distal 1/3 and squamous cell
carcinoma for proximal 2/3
3. Presenting
symptoms: dysphagia and weight
loss. Complain of food sticking in
throat or chest, difficulty swallowing, and Odynophagia (painful swallowing).
- Treatment techniques
1. Treatment
is complex and difficult due to locally advanced disease typical at time of
diagnosis.
2. Primary
goal is to provide relief of dysphagia and a chance for cure.
3. Surgery
is high-risk and mortality rates range from 8-31%, and even after a curative
resection, most patients fail distantly with lung, liver, or bone metastasis.
4. Radiation
with chemo is the standard treatment of choice.
- Field design
1. Spreads
longitudinally with skip lesions up to how many cm from the primary tumor? They can be up to 5cm away from the primary
lesion.
2. Regional
spread to draining lymphatics is common early – the cervical, supraclavicular,
mediastinal, and subdiaphragmatic node regions are at risk, depending on
primary tumor location.
3. Portals
encompassing areas at risk are usually large.
- Dosing
1. Standard
technique for treating the initial large field is AP/PA followed by shrinking
fields of various arrangements (ex. oblique off-cord).
2. For
treatment with radiation alone, dose is 65Gy; with chemo, dose is 5040cGy.
3. Both
doses exceed the tissue-tolerance of the spinal cord and careful dosimetric
planning is necessary.
4. What
structures affect lateral treatment doses within the thorax? The lungs and the heart affect treatment
doses.
- Simulation & positioning
1. Prone
position uses gravity to help place the esophagus at a greater distance from
the spinal cord
2. Supine
position is easier for elderly or severely ill patients to hold for a long time.
3. Vac-locks
for arms above head.
4. Oral
contrast may be given 30 min before scan.
5. A
pudding-like contrast may also be given at the time of simulation to help
visualize esophagus.
6. Which
patients may not tolerate oral contrasts, especially in supine position? Patients with dysphagia or odynophagia may
not tolerate oral contrasts.
- Side effects
1. After
2 weeks patients begin to experience esophagitis; patients complain of
substernal pain when swallowing and the sensation of food sticking in their
esophagus.
2. May
need to be on a modified soft or pureed diet.
3. High-calorie liquid meal supplements like Carnation
Instant Breakfast, Boost, or Ensure are good alternatives.
4. Esophagitis
can become severe by end of treatment and may require placement of a
nasogastric tube or PEG tube – What are these?
A nasogastric tube that goes through the nose down to the stomach; it is
a feeding tube. The PEG tube is a
surgically inserted tube from abdominal wall to stomach.
5. When
with chemo, esophagitis is worse; plus decreased blood counts, nausea and
vomiting are common.
6. Radiation
pneumonitis or pericarditis may occur if large volume of lung or heart is in
the field.
7. Perforation
and fistula formation can occur from rapid shrinkage of a tumor that was
adherent to the esophageal/tracheal wall.
- Long-term
effects:
1. Stenosis
or stricture as a result of scar formation.
2. Transverse
myelitis – shouldn’t occur if treatment is planned and delivered precisely.
- Pancreatic cancer
1. Fourth
leading cause of cancer deaths. High
mortality rate, considered one of the most deadly cancers.
2. Risks: unknown, but smoking is
definitely associated.
3. Presenting symptoms: jaundice,
abdominal pain, anorexia, and weight loss.
4. Occur
most frequently in head and neck of the pancreas as adenocarcinoma.
- Treatment techniques
1. Surgery
is the treatment of choice, but most tumors are unresectable.
2. Most
common potentially curative surgical procedure is the pancreaticoduodenectomy.
3. What
is the more common name for this surgery?
Whipple procedure.
4. Even
with a potentially curative resection, the 5-year survival rate is usually less
than 10% with a median survival time of 11-14 months.
5. Main
method is radiation plus chemo, especially for locally advanced or unresectable
tumors.
- Field design & dosing
1. AP/PA
for primary tumor bed and draining lymphatics.
2. Dose
of45 Gy, and up to 50Gy if reduce field size at 45Gy – What is important about
45Gy here? Small bowel TD 5/5 is 45Gy.
3. Dose
through lateral fields is limited to 18-20Gy because of the large volume of
liver and kidneys in these fields.
4. Critical
structures include kidneys, liver, small bowel, stomach, and spinal cord.
5. For
treating a head of pancreas lesion, approx. 50% of the right kidney is in the
treatment volume; at least 2/3 of left kidney must be shielded to preserve
normal kidney function.
- Simulation & positioning
1. Supine
with arms above head.
2. Oral
contrast given 30-60 minutes before scan.
- Side effects
1. Most
common are nausea and vomiting.
2. Other
potential acute effects are leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, diarrhea, and
stomatitis.
3. Long-term
effects, including renal failure, are rare.
Reflections:
http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Health/Cancer-risk-reduction/Middle-Eastern-herb-shows-potential-against-pancreatic-cancer
This is a link to a study on thymoquinone (antioxidant from black cumin seed) and its effects on pancreatic cancer patients. Animals received xenografts of pancreatic cancer. After treatment with the thymoquinone extract, 67 percent of the animals with the pancreatic cancer had their cancer shrink significantly. Also, the herb is safe when used in moderation. Middle Eastern and Asian countries have been using its oil for thousands of years with no reported toxic effects.
Reflections:
http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Health/Cancer-risk-reduction/Middle-Eastern-herb-shows-potential-against-pancreatic-cancer
This is a link to a study on thymoquinone (antioxidant from black cumin seed) and its effects on pancreatic cancer patients. Animals received xenografts of pancreatic cancer. After treatment with the thymoquinone extract, 67 percent of the animals with the pancreatic cancer had their cancer shrink significantly. Also, the herb is safe when used in moderation. Middle Eastern and Asian countries have been using its oil for thousands of years with no reported toxic effects.
I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this procedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
ReplyDeleteI'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be...